Non Immigrant Visa
New Procedures to Apply for a Nonimmigrant Visa
For Interview Appointments and Visa Information call 03 17 800 260 or visit www.ustraveldocs.com/ro
All visa applicants must fill out and submit their DS-160 form online before they schedule an appointment, otherwise they will be required to reschedule.
- Telephonic and online scheduling of nonimmigrant visa interviews. You may call 031 780 0260 within Romania or (703)988-7105 from the United States, or you may schedule your appointment via the Internet at www.ustraveldocs.com. The call center can also be reached via Skype at ustraveldocs-Romania.
- Information on visa application procedures.
- Sending documents to the Embassy via TNT courier service, if additional information is required after the visa interview. (This service will also be available to immigrant visa applicants.)
- Delivery of your passport by TNT courier service after your visa is printed. (This service will also be available to immigrant visa applicants.)
Once you pay your nonimmigrant visa application fee at any BRD bank branch in Romania, the services mentioned above will be available to you.
Nonimmigrant visa applicants wishing to schedule an appointment will be subject to the following procedures:
Visa Application Process — STEP BY STEP
- Take your photograph.
- Complete the visa application form DS-160 online and print the Confirmation Page when finished.
- Register online and create a Profile.
- Pay the visa application fee .
- Schedule your visa appointment online or by calling the call center.
- Come to the Embassy for your visa interview.
- Passports with approved visas will be delivered by TNT.
Your photo is an important part of your visa application. The acceptance of your photo is always at the discretion of the U.S. Embassy or Consulate where you apply. Please review information below on how to provide a suitable photo.
Your photo must be:
- Recent (taken within the last six months)
- In color
- White background
- Face must measure about 3 cm from the top of the head to the chin
- Applicant must face camera directly
- No glasses
- No head coverings or hats, except for religious reasons, but even then, head coverings or hats cannot obscure any part of the applicant's face.
The digital image uploaded to the DS-160 must adhere to the following specifications:
- Must be in JPEG format (.jpg file extension)
- Minimum acceptable dimensions are 600 pixels (width) — 600 pixels (height)
- Maximum acceptable dimensions are 1200 pixels (width) — 1200 pixels (height) and 240KB or less in file size
If you do not at least attempt to upload a digital photo, you cannot proceed with the application. If the system rejects your photo, please bring your printed photo to the interview—the dimensions should be 5 cm x 5 cm. You may also take pictures on the day of your appointment at the Consular Section (15 RON for a set of six pictures).
For more information about visa application photo specifications, visit the Department of State’s website.
Complete the visa application form DS-160 online and print the Confirmation Page when finished.
DS-160 important instructions:
- Visa application form DS-160 is mandatory for all nonimmigrant visa applicants. The online application form is available at https://ceac.state.gov/genniv/.
- Prepare all data relevant to your intended travel to the United States prior to starting the application process: passport details, information on your employment and travel history, previous visa applications, and current travel plans.
- Choose the location where you will be making your visa appointment ROMANIA, BUCHAREST and then click "Start a new application."
- Please write down your Application ID and the answer to the security question that you select to confirm your identity. You will be able to retrieve your unsubmitted application for the next 30 days.
- Select the correct visa category under "Purpose of Travel to the United States." Please note that if you are applying for more than one visa (except for B1/B2 with C1/D), you must complete and submit two application forms DS-160 and bring two confirmation pages with two different application numbers for the interview.
- Make sure that your biographic data such as your surname, given name, middle name, gender, date and place of birth, nationality, aliases (maiden name) and full name in your native alphabet are accurate. If you enter incorrect data, you will be required to correct and resubmit your DS-160 before your visa interview.
- Print the confirmation page that includes some biographical information and a bar code with a confirmation number. You will have to give this confirmation number when making your interview appointment by phone and should also bring the confirmation page to your scheduled interview.
- For the most recent information on the DS-160 form, please visit Frequently Asked Questions for the Online DS-160 Nonimmigrant Visa Electronic Application.
Applicants must register online at www.ustraveldocs.com in order to create a profile and eventually schedule their visa interview. After registering online, applicants must print an application fee deposit slip, which is required by BRD in order to pay the MRV fee.
In addition to printing an application fee deposit slip, applicants will chose a TNT location to pick up their passport, once the visa has been approved and printed.
Important Notice – New Application Fees
Effective September 12, 2014 the visa application fees for certain visa categories will change.
For more information regarding the change in visa fees please follow the U.S. Department of State webpage at Fees for Visa Services.
In most cases, all visa applicants, including children, are required to pay a non-refundable, non-transferable Machine Readable Visa (MRV) application fee, whether a visa is issued or not. The visa application fee is determined by the type of visa for which you wish to apply.
The application fee may be paid either in cash at any BRD branch in Romania, after downloading the deposit slip with barcode, following the instructions available at Bank and Payment Options section or online using your online bank account through TrustPay service.
If you would like to check whether your bank participates in TrustPay, please click here.
Each applicant must pay the visa application fee using their individual application fee deposit slip generated through the visa application portal. (i.e. a family of four members must present four deposit slips with four different UID codes at BRD). The fee for applying for a nonimmigrant visa depends on the visa category. It is non-refundable and non-transferable. Please note that the application fee for most nonimmigrant visa categories is currently $160, payable in RON.
If you apply for multiple visas at the same time (i.e. a B1/B2 for business/tourism and an F1 to study in the U.S.) you must submit two DS-160 application forms and pay two MRV fees. The only exception is for those applying for a B1/B2 (business/tourism) visa and a C1/D visa (crew member in transit) visa at the same time. These applicants will pay only one application fee and submit one DS-160.
Payment must be made in cash and in Romanian currency (RON). After receiving your payment, the bank will give you a receipt. Applicants must keep this receipt as they will need the receipt number to schedule an appointment.
You may schedule your visa appointment online at www.ustraveldocs.com or
You may telephone the call center at +40 31 780 0260 within Romania or (703)988-7105 from the U.S. The call center can also be reached via Skype at ustraveldocs-Romania.
Whether you schedule your appointment online or through our call center, you will need the receipt number printed on the receipt that you received from the BRD bank branch.
CAUTION: All applicants should verify the type of visa that will be required for their stay in the United States. Information on visa categories may be obtained online at www.ustraveldocs.com or by contacting our call center at the telephone numbers listed above.
- Visa appointments are scheduled on the half-hour from 7:30 a.m. until 11:00 a.m. Please arrive at your scheduled appointment time (not earlier) and expect to spend approximately one hour at the Embassy. Before you enter the building, consular staff will verify that you have the correct documentation for your interview.
- There is a photo booth inside the Consular Section waiting area which produces photos of the required size and format for your visa application. The cost is 15 RON for a set of six photos. Please bring exact change.
- Have a question about necessary paperwork? (PDF - 138kb)
- If you qualify for a visa you must leave your passport at the Consular Section for visa printing. Your documents will be delivered to the pick-up location you chose when you scheduled your interview appointment.
- Passports containing visas will be delivered by TNT, at no extra cost, to one of several service centers in Romania. Please note that you may also opt to retrieve your passport and visa from the "same-day pickup" location: TNT Romania SRL, Str. Aurel Vlaicu Nr. 49, 075100, Otopeni, Romania.