Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Student Visas

For Interview Appointments and Visa Information call 03 17 800 260 or visit

New appointment system and application procedures for visa applicants are available at

There are two non-immigrant student visa categories for persons wishing to study in the United States: the F and M visas.

The F visa applies to applicants who have been accepted by an approved college, university, seminary, conservatory, high school, middle school, elementary school, or other academic institution, or in a language-training program in the United States. The applicant's acceptance is evidenced by a completed certificate of eligibility (form I-20) signed by the applicant and the designated school official.

The M or vocational visa allows applicants to attend established vocational or other recognized non-academic institutions. For example, students attending culinary schools use this category.

For more information about student visas, please visit the Student Visas page. For more information about the Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP), please visit the SEVIS page.

F or M student visa holders may not enter the United States more than 30 days before their program starts if they are beginning a new course of study.

Click here to view what forms and documents an applicant must bring.

To qualify for a student visa, students must also bring the following:

  • SEVIS form and USD $ 200 fee receipt (this fee can be paid online at;
  • original I-20 form (for F visa) or I-20M (for M visa) provided by the institution;
  • original acceptance letter from the institution; and
  • financial proof of ability to pay the full tuition amount on the I-20. Evidence may include a scholarship, an assistantship, bank statements, salary statements, etc.

For any visa-related question not answered on the consular section’s website, applicants may refer to the A-Z Subject Index or send a message to the following email address: In most cases, the message will be answered within 3 business days.

Important Information

  • Violating the terms of your visa by overstaying or working illegally in the United States can prevent you from obtaining another non-immigrant or immigrant visa in the future.