Foreign Agricultural Service
The Foreign Agricultural Service as part of the U.S. Embassy in Romania represents the interests of the U.S. Department of Agriculture in Romania. The regional office is based in Warsaw, Poland and covers Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Romania, and Slovak Republic.
The Foreign Agricultural Service (FAS) Bucharest works for improving access of U.S. products on the Romanian market. FAS Bucharest operates programs designed to build new markets and improve the competitive position of U.S. agriculture in Romania.
Michael Henney (Resident in Warsaw)
As Regional Agricultural Attaché, Mr. Michael Henney represents the United States Department of Agriculture and the interests of U.S. agribusinesses
Agricultural Specialist: Monica Dobrescu, responsible for commodity reporting, policy issues
Agricultural Assistant: Ioana Stoenescu, responsible for marketing activities, veterinary issues.
If you would like further information related to any of USDA Programs, please feel free to contact our office.
Embassy of United States of America
Office of Agricultural Affairs
4-6, Dr. Liviu Librescu Blvd.,
District 1, Bucharest
Telephone: (+40) 21 200-3374; (+40) 21 200-3356
Fax: (+40 21) 200-3442
FAS Program activity
Agricultural and Food Trade Shows:
- Calendar of 2012 Trade Shows in the United States (.PDF File, 87.4Kb). The calendars contain the major agricultural trade shows and conferences around the US whose exhibitors have identified export interest.
- Calendar of 2012-2013 International Trade Shows Endorsed by United States Department of Agriculture (.PDF File, 28Mb). The calendars contain the major international agricultural trade shows and conferences with support available from USDA-FAS.
- Domestic Trade Shows:
- INDAGRA - International Fair of equipment and products in agriculture, horticulture, viticulture and animal husbandry
- AGRARIA International Trade Fair, organized in Cluj-Napoca
- CARNEXPO - the largest meat industry exhibition from South Eastern Europe
- GOODWINE International Wine Fair
- VINVEST Timisoara - International Wine Exhibition
- VINTEST Bucharest - Romanian National Wine Show
You will find below useful links for describing the US regulatory system for agricultural biotechnology:
Most Important U.S. Exports to Romania FY 2011 (Oct 2010-Sept 2011)
- Food Preparations - $16.4 million
- Sunflower seeds – $13 million
- Rice – $9.7 million
- Beverages – $8.5 million
- Soybeans - $2.6 million
- Edible fruits and nuts – $2.07 million
- Fish & seafood products: $0.9 million
Food Facility Registration
Online FDA Food Facility Registration
The FDA recently issued guidance regarding registration requirements for food manufacturing facilities. Domestic and foreign food facilities must be registered with FDA by the end of the year. The updated food facility registration system is now available on-line at http://www.fda.gov/.
Information About the Registration of Food Facilities:
Registration of food facilities help desk - email@example.com
Phone: 800-216-7331 or 301-575-0156