Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
U.S. Tax Information

Internal Revenue Service (IRS)


The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) will host a webinar on "Protect your clients and yourself from data theft" on Wednesday, August 17, 2016, from 1:00 p.m. – 2:30 p.m. EDT.  Posts should share this information with the U.S. citizen community and other U.S. taxpayers, and add a link to their web pages.  

To register and attend this webinar, use the Protect your clients and yourself from data theft webinar link.  Participants should log in 10 minutes prior to the start time.  This session will be recorded and made available at a later time on

How to file your taxes overseas — Preparing for the 2015 tax filing season

In order to anticipate the many inquiries you might receive this year, the Department of State posted IRS guidance on the website, under Federal Benefits and Obligations.

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) advises that U.S. citizens and resident aliens living outside the United States can use IRS Free File to prepare and file their federal tax returns electronically (for more information, please click on the following link: Free File).

U.S. citizens must report their worldwide income on their federal income tax returns. Living or earning income outside the United States does not relieve a U.S. citizen of the responsibility for filing tax returns. However, U.S. citizens living and/or working abroad may be entitled to various deductions, exclusions, and credits. ACS provides a list of unvetted U.S. tax practitioners and a limited supply of federal tax forms. For more information on general U.S. tax issues, please consult the IRS web site. For basic tax information for Americans overseas, please visit the U.S. Citizens and Resident Aliens Abroad page of the Internal Revenue Service.

If you are a taxpayer with specific individual or business account questions you should contact the International Taxpayer Service Call Center by phone or fax.  The International Call Center is operational Monday through Friday, from 6:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. EST, telephone: 267-941-1000 (not toll-free), fax:  267-941-1055. If you are a tax professional or software provider calling about an e-file issue and it is not account-related, please contact the e-help office in Austin, Texas, at 512-416-7750 (not toll-free).

Assistance is available Monday through Friday, from 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. CST. Taxpayer service, formerly offered by IRS offices overseas, is no longer available. Please send your tax forms and correspondence to the applicable address indicated below.

Individual taxpayers located outside the United States also may contact the IRS by mail:

Internal Revenue Service
International Accounts
Philadelphia, PA 19255-0725

Business taxpayers located outside the United States also may contact the IRS by mail:

Internal Revenue Service
International Accounts
Ogden, UT 84201-0038

Residents of Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands may contact the IRS toll free at 1-800-829-1040, Monday through Friday, from 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m. EST.  For face-to-face assistance information in Puerto Rico refer to Contact My Local Office in Puerto Rico.

International Taxpayer Advocate:

To request Taxpayer Advocate assistance, call the Taxpayer Advocate Service toll-free number: 1-877-777-4778, or refer to Contact a Local Taxpayer Advocate (LTA) in Caribbean US Territories (Puerto Rico & US Virgin Islands) and International or Contact a Local Taxpayer Advocate (LTA) in Hawaii & Pacific US Territories (Guam, American Samoa and the Northern Mariana Islands). 

The American Citizen Services does not have state tax forms. For your convenience, we list the links to states' tax web sites below.

Alabama | Alaska | Arizona | Arkansas | California | Colorado | Connecticut | Delaware | District of Columbia | Florida | Georgia | Hawaii | Idaho | Illinois | Indiana | Iowa | Kansas | Kentucky | Louisiana | Maine | Maryland | Massachusetts | Michigan | Minnesota | Mississippi | Missouri | Montana | Nebraska | Nevada | New Hampshire | New Jersey | New Mexico | New York | North Carolina | North Dakota | Ohio | Oklahoma | Oregon | Pennsylvania | Puerto Rico | Rhode Island | South Carolina | South Dakota | Tennessee | Texas | Utah | Vermont | Virginia | Washington | West Virginia | Wisconsin | Wyoming

Combating Fraud, Waste and Abuse in Federal Tax Administration

The Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration (TIGTA) is responsible for oversight of IRS activities and for maintaining integrity in the U.S. Federal tax system. Fraud, waste, and abuse in Federal tax administration are unfair to all U.S. taxpayers and can take a variety of forms. If you are aware of fraud, waste, mismanagement, and abuse in the IRS programs and operations, report it to the TIGTA. To learn more about reporting fraud or abuse please follow this link:

Reporting Foreign Bank Accounts

The public may be unaware of their obligation to report their foreign bank accounts to the Department of the Treasury. Recent news events have highlighted foreign bank account reporting. While there are many legitimate reasons to own foreign financial accounts, there are also responsibilities that go along with owning such accounts. Foreign account owners must remember that they may have to report their accounts to the government, even if the accounts do not generate any taxable income. The link below provides information for filing a Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Account, Form TD F 90-22.1, which is better known as the FBAR form.

For more information regarding reporting foreign bank accounts, please visit

Tax Forms

Please note that the IRS is no longer publishing the Overseas Filing Package. Tax forms can be downloaded from the Internet at, ordered online, obtained through American Citizen Services at your local Embassy or Consulate, or by calling the IRS at 001 800 829 3676.


TAX RETURNS with an APO or FPO address, a foreign country and U.S. Citizens and those filing Form 2555 or 2555-EZ. These returns include Form 1040, 1040A, 1040EZ & 1040NR INTERNAL REVENUE SERVICE CENTER Austin, TX 73301-0215 USA
Form W-7
(with or without a Tax Return)
American Citizen Services can certify a copy of your passport or other identification for a fee (please see the Notarial Services" section for additional information)
Form W-8 BEN Please DO NOT send this form to the IRS. It must be returned to your financial institution.
Written Taxpayer Inquiry INTERNAL REVENUE SERVICE 11601 Roosevelt Blvd. Philadelphia, PA 19154

Tax Accountants and Consultants

As a convenience, we are providing information for the tax assistance organizations that we are aware of that handles US taxes. Our purpose is simply to offer you a resource to assist you with your tax needs. The U.S. Embassy does not recommend or endorse individual preparers or firms, and assumes no responsibility for the professional ability or integrity of the firm or its employees. Download the Tax Accountants and Consultants List.


Adobe Reader

  • Download Adobe Reader to view .PDF files
    Download Free

    All downloadable documents on this page are provided in PDF format. To view PDFs you must have a copy of Adobe Acrobat Reader. You may download a free version by clicking the link above.