Skip Global Navigation to Main Content
Skip Breadcrumb Navigation
Renewing a Child's Passport

Personal Appearance

Here's what the photo should look like:

All children under age 16 must apply in person, accompanied by at least one parent. They cannot apply by mail; unfortunately, no exceptions can be made.

Two-Parent Consent Required

Both parents must give their consent for minors under age 16 applying for any passport services. It is required by law.  To comply with this two-parent passport consent statute, you have a couple of options:

  • Both parents may appear in person with their passports and sign for children under age 16. You must also bring the child's original birth certificate as evidence of the parental relationship.
  • One parent may apply for the child’s passport in person and submit a signed and notarized affidavit form giving the second parent's consent for passport issuance. Note that the parent who signs in person will need to present a copy of the non-present parent's passport and the child's original birth certificate as evidence of the parental relationship. The affidavit form must be notarized.  Any notarial is acceptable, including Romanian notarials, US military bases notarials, or notarials from any U.S. Embassy or Consulate.  There is no charge for this service for this purpose at any Embassy or Consulate.  All notarized statements must be in English, or in Romanian, if executed before a Romanian Notary Public.
  • If only one parent signs the application with no consent from the other parent, the signing parent must establish sole authority to execute the application through written proof of sole custody (for example, following a divorce).

These are the things you'll need to renew your child's passport:

  • Your Child's Current or Most Recently Issued Passport
    You must present your child's current or most recently issued passport, even if that passport has already expired. If you cannot locate the passport, you will have to declare it lost or stolen and submit form DS-64: Statement Regarding Lost or Stolen Passport along with the passport application.
  • Application Form: Please complete one copy of Form DS-11, available for download (forms are also available for pick-up in our office.) Note that the form you print must be clear and sharp, with black print on white paper, letter or A4 size. Thermal paper, dye-sublimation paper, special inkjet paper, and other shiny papers are not acceptable. Federal law requires a passport applicant to provide his/her Social Security Number (SSN) under question #5 on the DS-11 application form. Failure to provide this information could result in a $500 penalty imposed by the U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS). Both parents sign their names for applicants under age 16. The child does not sign for him/herself. All applicants must be in Romania for us to process their application.
  • Two Photos: The photos must be sized 2" X 2" (or 5 cm X 5 cm) with a white background. Be careful with the size-- "passport photos" you get at a local photographer's shop may be too small.  Please use the guide below or the one on the application form you are completing.  Do not staple the photos to the application form. The photo must be 2 inches by 2 inches with the face size as specified. Your browser may not display the graphic above as the right size. One of the most common problems with passport applications we receive is that the photos are the wrong size. The photo in your current US passport may be a different size from what is needed for a new passport, as standards sometimes change. The best way to make sure your photos are the right size is to download and print out a passport application (see above). The drawing of a proper photo is right on the application form.
  • Proof of Parental Relationship Please include an original of one of the following documents: Certified U.S. birth certificate (with parents' names); or Consular Report of Birth Abroad (FS-240) (with parents' names); or Certification of Birth Abroad (DS-1350)(with parents' names); or Adoption decree (with adopting parents' names); or Court order establishing custody; or Court order establishing guardianship. If the parent(s)/guardian current name(s) is/are other than what is stated on these documents, evidence of legal name change (e.g. marriage, divorce, court-ordered name change) is required.  All documents must be originals. Any non-English document must include a translation. We may request whatever additional documentation is necessary from you to meet these requirements.


The fee for a renewal passport is $105 (or the Romanian Lei equivalent, based on the U.S. Embassy exchange rate at the time) for children. We accept cash, US Dollars or Romanian Lei. We accept credit cards at the Embassy in Bucharest. You may pay using your VISA, Mastercard, Discover, Diners Club or American Express card. Please also be prepared to pay with cash if the credit card verification system is temporarily unavailable. Credit card payments are billed in U.S. dollars. We cannot accept checks.


You may collect the new passport when it is completed or have it delivered by courier.  We have courier delivery forms available at the Embassy.

How Long Does It Take?

Processing time is about seven to ten days after we receive your completed application and approve it. All passports are now printed in the U.S. and must be shipped to Romania.  Because computers break, emergencies happen, and mail is sometimes delivered late, we suggest that you do not make any unchangeable travel plans until you have the new passport in hand.